Jan 5, 2009

Race Report from Mike Dalton May 2008 White Lake 1/2 Ironman

DAMA Swimmer Race Report

1. Name: Mike Dalton
2. Race/Event: White Lake ½ Iron Man
3. Date: May 2008
4. Temperature/Conditions: warm (70’s) to hot (90’s)
5. Distance: 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile cycle, 13.1 mile run
6. Number entered: approx. 800
7. Swimmers you knew at the race:
I had quite a few friends who participated in this race. It’s a bit competitive and it is all about doing the thing we enjoy.
8. New people you met while there:
Laugh! I always meet new people. Sometimes it’s prior to the race at the dinner, sometimes it is during the race via a word of encouragement or congratulations of an event well done, and sometimes it is in the transition area when something silly happens.
9. Best and worst thing about the experience:
The best thing for me in this event was the swim.
I had been swimming with DAMA for one year and that was a positively reflected in my swim time.
The worst thing for me was my running time. Running is, by far, my strongest event, but not in this race, oooh boy!
10. How you felt before and after the race/event:
I always feel awful the hours before to the race.
I never sleep well the night before, it’s usually cold and dark prior to the race and I am standing around in only a swim suit, and the adrenaline is flowing and there is no outlet. This all improves at the exact moment when the start signal goes off.

After the race is another story. There are days when I triumph and there are days when I endure, but after each race, I never fail to realize and to be grateful for: the opportunity to compete, for the personal challenge to myself and of my friends to push ourselves to what we think we can really do, to have the attention of so many folks working or supporting the event, to have a dedicated day for the sole purpose of enjoyment, and to find personal satisfaction, peace, and friendship, in the aftermath.

11. What challenges you had and overcame/dealt with?
Prior to the event, it was dedicating the resources (time, money, and energy) to train.
During this event, there was a strong headwind which started around mile 20 on the bike and never let up. The challenge was to figure out how much effort to use so as not to be too exhausted for the run.

Running, or lack of.
12. What advice do you have for other swimmers?
My advice would be to, first and foremost, enjoy your race!

Prepare (practice and plan) for your entire event ahead of time.

During the race, find your performance zone and stick to you plan.

Always demonstrate good sportsmanship.

No matter what the outcome, be grateful to all who have helped you and enjoy your accomplishment.

Afterwards, create a lessons learned log, what went right and what can be improved. Read the log when planning the next race.
13. What would you do differently next time?
I’m training differently. My training program is going to have more brick sessions.

14. How did this year compare to last year for the same race/event?
LOL. Last year was my first tri. I got a DNF because I didn’t know the course and turned around to early during the run. This year I performed at my planned expectation in the swim and the cycling. The one thing that I never expected to have a problem with, running, was a disaster. On race day anything can happen.
15. What did you experience that you didn’t expect or what have you learned from this experience?
It took a long time for me to figure out what went wrong in my run. It appears that dehydration is the most likely cause. The thing is, I drank plenty of water and sports drink in the days leading up to and during the event. So now, hydration becomes a more critical for me to factor in and plan for during a race.
16. What essential things should you know/bring with you if this is your first time participating in this race/event?
Your smile. Laughter is a great stress reliever and will make the event much more satisfying for you.

A peanut-butter and honey sandwich to eat 40 minutes prior to your race.

Your swimsuit and your goggles!
17. Do you recommend this race/event and why or why not:
Yes, I would recommend this event because the lake course is easy to navigate and the bike route is fairly flat. The running route is not the best but it isn’t all bad either. The entire race course is well managed. Also, there are many good athletes who participate. Overall, it is a very good event.
18. Summary of highlights:
Good results in the swim and the cycle.
My run needs improvement
19. Goals for the future:
Run a marathon before the end of 2008.

No comments: